Tuesday, September 11, 2007

School issue

C has been home for a couple of days due to a head lice break-out at school. He dorm hall was infested, as were several other halls, so they sent 40 kid away to help curtail the outbreak. It was the first ever outbreak of this kind in the 28 year history of her school. I guess there is a first time for everything.

We got a call about 11PM on Saturday evening asking for help. K and I went to the big W and purchased shampoo and spray to begin the control. C called on Sunday AM, saying that she was told to come home to get all her laundry re-done, all washed in HOT water and dried on HIGH heat to kill any live lice or eggs (called nits, and the origination of the term nit-picking).

K and I took the laundry to a local laundromat, spending about $40 on cleaning the clothes in about 2 hours. If we had done them at home, it would have taken about 2 days to do all the laundry, and then we still would have needed to go to the laundromat to do the comforters and blankets.

In the process of delivering the supplies to C at about 1 AM Sunday, I apparently hit a piece of shredded truck tire with my Passat, cracking the oil pan. Fortunately the oil leaked out slowly and did not cause any issues other than needing a new oil pan and a minor oil spill hazard on I-85. The only way that I found the leak was seeing the oil under the car on Sunday afternoon. When I checked the oil, prior to starting the car, it was down 3 out of 6 quarts. I added enough oil to get it on the dipstick before starting the car, and put the car on ramps so that the repairs could be made. Monday, I went to the local VW dealership to get the pan and gasket. Installation took about an hour, including oil change.

No comments: