Saturday, December 13, 2008

The joys of traveling, More information

I came down with a cold during this trip in NY. It is not fun traveling with stuffed sinuses, sore throat from coughing and a minor fever.

This is the weather that caused my travel problems.

After the airline called to cancel my flight, I was able to extend my checkout time at my hotel until 2PM in Albany, but starting at 11:30 and every 15-20 min, the front desk called to make sure everything was ok. So I decided that at 1PM to go to the airport and wait there. That way, I could infect as many people as possible. I found I was not the only one with the sniffles.

It seems the hotel was interested in getting me out of their room as all the hotels in Albany were booked solid because the Snow/Ice had knocked out power for a 5 county wide area. Any hotel that had power was booked, and the hotel wanted my room and me out of it. Since I knew my flight was going to be on time, I left.

Because of the delays, both flights were packed. Probably because of my coughing, the only extra seat on the first plane ended up next to me. :-) The second flight was completely full but the guy next to me had 2 JD with a beer chaser, probably enough alcohol to prevent infection.

These kind of delays are why I generally like to travel by car. That way, control of the travel plans are up to me and not someone else. I would have left Thursday evening, heading south to slightly warmer climes getting out of the potential for ice and snow, but Upstate NY is really farther to drive than my company would accept.

I am glad to be home, where I can heal in my own digs.

No comments: