Monday, September 11, 2006

Today

It was 5 years ago that I was walking into a paper mill in Louisiana that I learned of the horrible acts of a few Islamic zelots. Since that time, I have learned much about history and the acts done in the name of any religion. My thoughts:

1) Zelots of any religion who kill people are wrong!

2) This conflict is about converting everyone in the world to Islam.

3) This is not " cannot we just all get along" time. They want to kill us because we do not believe the way they do.

4) Talking is not action.

5) The actions of a few zelots do in fact taint the perception of the entire group, and until the "all" proves the zelots to be out of touch, the doubt is fact. Just ask the Duke lacrosse team.

6) Every day, the news casts at noon, evening and nightly should begin with the pictures of the planes flying into the WTC Towers and show the people jumping to their deaths because of what some zelots did in the name of their religion.

That could help our people understand what faces us.

My heart is heavy for the families of people killed in fighting this conflict. It is important that they did not die in vain, but provide the strength for us to carry on and prevent savagery here, for my sake yes, but more importantly for the sake of my children.

I will not typically use this space for rants like this one, but it was my feeling for the day, and most days, so it needed to be said.

God bless and protect all American troops in harms way giving the wisdom to represent themselves as true Patriots and Christians.

1 comment:

Carol P. said...

And even the ones who aren't Christian but put it on the line so we can go about our everyday, mundane lives.

Our big sister woke S and I to the news. 1MO E was just starting to wake again after her middle-of-the-night feeding. We watched long enough to see the Pentagon hit and the first tower fall ("Peter...it's gone!"), then it was time to roust kids. We got J off to Kindergarten and when I got back from the bus stop, S told me tower 2 was down.

Then it was M's first day of preschool. We were all kind of numb there, but putting on our game faces for the almost-3YOs in the class.

By the time we got home and I was able to hear again, the 2nd tower was long down and it was just more and more and more awful news.

And even to this day, I remember the disbelief. And the awful, empty, raw feeling in the pit of my stomach as I knew the world changed. And the silence, endless silence of no planes taking off over head (we live under a PDX approach/takeoff path from CA -- they're at 10K feet or so so not too loud). The silence. The endless silence.

And a clear blue sky with no contrails visible anywhere.