Tuesday, January 01, 2008

School Essay: What I did on my Christmas Vacation

I am not too sure that the pictures will do justice to what I want to show, but a couple of years ago, I got a dovetailing jig for use with my router. I had intended to use it making the drawers for the kitchen remodel that K and I did. Well my router had an issue with a bearing that went bad, so the drawers ended up mad a different way and the dovetail jig not used.

Over this Christmas vacation, I committed to K that I would make some drawers for a couple of kitchen cabinet bottom sections. This would make it easier to get to the pots, pans and anything else that was stored in the cabinets, using the whole cabinet rather than having something hiding, unused in the back of the cabinet

Well I got my router fixed, tuned the jig and went to town making drawers. The first picture is the cabinet that K wanted done first. It would require 4 drawers, 2 large ones for the left hand side and 2 for the right.


The cabinet open:


Here is a picture of the finished cabinet with the four drawers installed.



I could bore you with the details of the drawer making process, but they were make of Baltic Birch and custom fit for each cabinet. The first 4 turned out so well in K's opinion that she wanted 2 more in a different cabinet. Those turned out the way K wanted, so she has requested a couple more in yet a 3rd cabinet.

The hardest part was getting the finish just right, but in the end, it all looks very good.

3 comments:

Carol P. said...

Wow! They look great!

meh said...

OK I am totally jealous. I don't even know what those tools are, never mind how to use them and make awesome cabinets in the process. You Wrock.

Anonymous said...

Wow D! You did a great job! I bet K is happy. Tell A that Aunt L said hi and I hope that the mouth is healing.