Saturday, January 26, 2008

Troubleshooting Computers

Our desktop computer has been a pain lately. It is a bit old and has been giving the BSOD, showing random errors causing the automatic shutdown. I am trying to isolate the problem, but Microsoft and Google are very little help when trying to figure out these types of errors. MS indicates it is a driver that is causing the fault, but does not say which one or how to troubleshoot. Google says the same thing, but some sites indicate that a memory module may have a faulty chip, so I am trying removal of one of the memory sticks to see if that will isolate the problem. I originally thought it was my Antivirus, then Java that was crashing the computer, but was incorrect on both counts.

Based on what happened earlier today, either I removed the good memory module or the problem is outside the SDRAM boards. I will probably know within a day or so.

BTW, the BSOD error codes are about worthless.

1 comment:

Carol P. said...

Er, yeah, I've never been helped by a BSOD error code, that's for sure.

Hey, you can install ubuntu next! Then A or C can take on writing open source software and come out to Portland for OSCON!