Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mom

I do not wax as eloquently as some of the rest of my blogger family, but I will try anyway.

Happy Mother's Day, Mom. Although you are at peace, not a day goes by I don't think of you. Each day, that some little thing reminds me of the joy you had when around your children and grandchildren. You standing by Dad, supporting and encouraging all of your children, and reminding them from where they came. You told the great stories to the grandkids of how your children were just a mischievous as they were, encouraging them to be just like their parents, then read stories to them.

When I am home, I am in the kitchen frequently. There are too many evenings spent in restaurants in towns across America, so that when I am home, home cooking is preferred. K is at home and wants a break from cooking, so I take over. So, when I am in the kitchen, nearly everything I do reminds me of you when you were in the kitchen. You taught me to cook, though I am not as good as you. When cooking together when I was young, you talked about your childhood, your grandparents and your relatives along with the unspoken expectations for each of us. We discussed what was happening from this child's perspective.

Looking back from a 51 year perspective, the only thing that could be better is for you to be here. Thanks and love ya Mom.

2 comments:

The Girl Next Door said...

A very sweet and loving tribute. We all miss her.

Carol P. said...

Yep, I'm surrounded by mom and her memories everywhere here too. From pillows that she made to stories that she told that I tell to my own kids. She's here, every day, even though she's not physically present!