Sunday, April 06, 2008

New Places, New Faces

Last week, I traveled to Southeastern PA, Delaware and Southern NJ. It was new territory for me and as such it was very interesting. I will be going back in about a month to follow-up what was started on this trip.

We went to some interesting places. In Southern Delaware, we went to a microbrewery called Dogfish Head Brewery with their specialty beers, IPA's. They use several different pieces of my equipment and had some questions. While it is the same processes as in a place like Anheuser Busch or Miller, the scale is much smaller, the place is more artisan, and the people are more interesting. The whole environment at these type places is less of a chemical plant that just happens to make beer to that of a place that seems more free spirited, almost artisan like to the point of having 2 Boccie Ball courts out in front of their front door. They do tours on MWF at 3 PM if you are ever in the area with even some sampling of their products. This was a good, but fun sales call.

Earlier that day in more northern Delaware, we had gone into a manufacturer of the inert ingredients of pills (as one end use example). They take paper pulp, break it down further to the cellulose and use the cellulose as the inert ingredients. This company, prior to us going in, had a bad experience with my type of equipment in the past.

Upon arriving, the Process Engineer was informed by a co-worker of the challenges previously experienced. (Seems as if one of my competitors had been in there, sold them some equipment based on price, not no the application and the equipment was significantly undersized for the process.) This made for an awkward sales experience, but we were able to demonstrate knowledge of my product, coupled with experiences that we had in similar applications to garner a trial to prove the equipment acceptability to this customer. By the end of the sales call, there was significantly less skepticism about the ability for the equipment and an open, honest dialog had been established.

I was slightly west of York on Friday AM at a Paper Mill retrieving demo equipment. Interesting town (very small) but beautiful country side. I will need to take K with me next time to this area as she would enjoy it.

And so it was, all week.

4 comments:

Carol P. said...

Cool! I always like hearing how other systems work. I'm not on the sales side, so I only get to toss things over the wall for the most part, sigh.

I have this theory that fluids flow through pipes the same way that electrons flow through circuits the same way that data flows through programs the same way that wind flows through mountain passes the same way that gossip flows through a company. It's a fine analogy that seems to work about 85% of the time, which is good enough for me.

DF said...

You are correct. The size of the electrical wire limits the current, a good equivalent to liquid flowing through a pipe.

meh said...

OMG Dogfish Head Beer. Discovered that recently with BossMan and his friends on a boat in Florida. How fun that you got to see it made!! A bit of advice (although I know you don't drink anyway) Don't drink the ones with Yellow Caps. We're pretty sure that means "caution." BossMan doesn't remember much after the 3rd beer. Thankfully, I didn't drink them, I just watched what happens to someone who does. So No Yellow Caps....

DF said...

If it was the IPA 120, that is brewed for 120 minutes and has an alcohol content of 18%. I learned that when I was there. Fun process to see.